Monday, September 22, 2014

IT'S TIME TO SPEAK UP

by Paul Gibbs



I feel like I've both asked a lot and asked very little of you. I've asked a lot in the sense that I keep asking for the same thing over and over and over again. I've asked very little in that all I want is for people to write an email. make a phone call, or show up to an event. I know nobody likes doing these things. I certainly don't. But I'm going to have to ask again.

We're heading into the home stretch on Medicaid expansion/ Healthy Utah, with Governor Herbert and the federal government just weeks away from an agreement, putting the Governor in a position to possibly call a special legislative session. And because the momentum we've gained, opponents are throwing everything they have at us. Truth, logic and human decency are forgotten as we see flimsy studies, manipulative polls, and House Speaker Becky Lockhart insisting there are "Other options" (does she mean the awful plan the House floated in January?). As much as this should have been a slam-dunk almost two years ago, it's still going to be very difficult to get past the ideological extremists who are against this.

The first thing we need to do is show the public, the media and the legislature that the Sutherland Institute is dead wrong, and Utah wants expansion. We can do this by writing more emails and making more phone.calls than ever before. By writing more letters to the editor of the Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret News. And by attending the Medicaid expansion/Healthy Utah Vigil I'm organizing at the State Capitol on Saturday,Octobed 18 at 7pm on the south steps (See? I have to organizs it? I'm just asking you to be there). This event will be held in conjuctions with similar rallies the same night in many of the other states which have not yet expanded Medicaid.

The coming weeks will be huge in influencing the future of Healthy Utah. Please step up and help make it happen. Because you can be all too sure the other side will step up to try and stop it.

No comments:

Post a Comment